[UbuntuWomen] ubuntu-women Digest, Vol 15, Issue 2

Miss Augustina missaugustina at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 18:55:04 UTC 2007

I understand when I read PlanetUbuntu that these are personal blogs and the
views expressed by the writers do not necessarily represent *ubuntu*.  If a
writer is being extremely offensive, that's one thing.  If a writer is
expressing an opinion over something that happened in the Ubuntu community,
I think that is perfectly OK and not in violation of any standards.  The
fact that they are choosing to express themselves in their personal blog
that they host vs on a forum gives people a lot of leeway.  Not everything
written in blogs on planet ubuntu is in line with the ubuntu code of
conduct.  If that is something that you feel is important, then instead of
targeting Caroline you should take it up with the appropriate Ubuntu
community group and suggest all blogs should equally adhere to this code.

Many of us who stand up in these situations quickly become targeted.  It
doesn't stop me from standing up but it does make me less enthusiastic about
being involved in a group where I was targeted.  I'll give an example of my
situation, and I'm curious to hear stories from other Ubuntu Women as well.

There is an independent electronic fest that happens locally called Decibel
Fest.  On a local electronic music mailing list the organizer posted an
email with the subject "Club Boobies".  I thought it was odd but ignored it
as the post itself had nothing to do with the subject.  One list member
asked why he'd used "Club Boobies" as a subject, and he replied "so that
people would read the email - everyone loves boobies" or something to that
effect.  I voiced that I felt that was really inappropriate and only served
to further marginalize women in the electronic music community, and that as
a high profile member of the community he should apologize.  Well he didn't,
he instead blasted me saying things like "the war in Iraq and our bad
president is a bigger issue it's too bad we can't focus on all the piddly
little issues out there".  I complained to the list owner and got nothing
from him.  This guy is kind of *big* in the community so everyone was afraid
to say anything to him lest they fall out of his good graces.. and basically
I got black listed.  No one said anything to me publicly although privately
I was told that they also felt he was a little out of line.  Gee thanks.

Whoa that was a lot!!  Haha..

Augustina