[UbuntuWomen] Some will never learn...

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 18:54:16 UTC 2007

On 3/29/07, Caroline Ford <caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Oh I've just been asked to leave the Ubuntu-UK planet because of my
> language. The comment referred to my "recent reaction to an email on the
> ubuntu-uk's mailing list." (complaining about a sexist joke).

> I'm naturally removing myself from the Ubuntu Uk planet - I don't see
> why I should make themselves look more diverse than they actually are.
>
> FUCK THE LOT OF THEM.

<list admin hat on>
I was observing the turn of events and think this language is
inappropriate here too, irrespective of gender. I understand your
anger/disappointment but it cant justify the above.
<list admin hat off>

On a personal note, since I have experienced it too, I know how it
feels. Last year, I left the Indian loco team but still don't think
its necessary to return aggressiveness that I got (yes even on my
blog).

IMO, if anyone leaves a volunteer project for any reason its a loss to
the project (here Ubuntu) and not to the individual themselves. They
will take their *skills, talent and most importantly their time
elsewhere*. I have done that earlier and as women we don't need to
feel guilty about leaving if our efforts are not appreciated. You have
a choice and are free to exercise it without feeling guilty about the
project losing a contributing member like you. Its their loss not
yours !! You probably know this but still I wanted to share my
thoughts.

On 3/30/07, Mirjam Wäckerlin <mirjam.waeckerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I perfectly agree with you.
> So what do you think (this question is directed to all subscribers)
> should ubuntu-women go to CC to deal with this issue?

From, http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct
[/quote]
This Code of Conduct covers your behaviour as a member of the Ubuntu
Community, in any forum, mailing list, wiki, web site, IRC channel,
install-fest, public meeting or private correspondence.
[/unquote]

The above says it all and it definitely works both ways. Although it
does not mention blogs clearly, i guess the COC is applicable there
too.

That said, if anyone wants to approach the CC, they have a right to do so.
Irrespective of opinions of people on this list or elsewhere, the
decision should be taken by the person/s concerned, without us adding
more pressure by foisting  our thoughts on them.

--
thanks,
Vid