[UbuntuWomen] Some will never learn...

Amanda Angell amandaangell at spin.net.au
Sun Apr 1 01:50:18 UTC 2007

On Sunday 01 April 2007 9:30 am, Anna Buttfield wrote:
> Sometimes it just feels like the geekier corners of the internet are
> treehouses filled with little boys and a "no girls" sign on the door.
> You could maybe force your way in by pretending to be a boy, or
> getting their mothers involved, but it doesn't really seem worth
> getting inside.

Hi,
This is my first post on Ubuntu-Women, but this post reminded me of a site
that I had to delete from my RSS feed because of the 'feeling' I got there,
but I never could put it into words. Now you've made me realise just exactly
why I hate it.

The site is Gizmodo, and they write like there are simply NO women reading it.
Why would they? I thought some of what they had to write about was
interesting, but the immature writing, and the sexism turned me off. There
were no women posting comments, and I really aren't the kind of person
willing to put myself up to 100 flame-posts because I wanted to comment on
the topic (wether the topic was sexist or otherwise). So, rather than fight,
I gave up. I agree, it doesn't seem worth getting inside.

It just means that women will congregate around the better sites (or start
their own) in the future, although I wonder what this will mean for the
future of the internet. I can only hope it will continue to get better, and
more mature.

Amanda.