[UbuntuWomen] Sites and site edits

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at princessleia.com
Sat Mar 18 12:10:21 UTC 2006

Greetings all,

I should start out with an introduction.

I'm Lyz, I live in Philadelphia, PA, USA. I began using Linux in 2002 and have
used Debian for most of that time, but have briefly dabbled in Red Hat, Gentoo
and Ubuntu. These days I'm still using Debian on my desktop and Ubuntu on my
laptop.

I've been involved with LinuxChix for several years, and have coordinated the
Philadelphia chapter since 2003.

I signed up for this mailing list a little bit ago, but have just lurked until
now. I joined the IRC channel the other day and upon visiting one of the links
in the topic I found myself logged in and making grammatical and quick content
edits :)

The site in question was this:

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/UbuntuWomenFAQs

I got to the "Why isn't there a Ubuntu (fill in minority here)?" section and
was somewhat troubled by the bit in the second paragraph about IRC. I would
like to edit it, but first need clarification as to what the point of it is.

Is the point that women are easily identified in IRC, and once they are they
are discriminated against? In my experience women are NOT easily identified in
IRC unless we want to be, many women intentionally use gender neutral nicknames
so people don't know their gender. In fact, even my own IRC nick "pleia2" is
often assumed to be male if people don't make the Leia connection.

Or is the point that not many women use IRC?

Or is the point that F/OSS projects often have meetings in IRC, a medium that
not many women communicate in, and so are somewhat shut out of these meetings?

All of the above?

Once I understand exactly what we're trying to communicate here I would be
happy to rewrite this section to clarify.

Susana in IRC then posted some other links for me to check out, which quickly
had my head spinning - do we have a central location for all the project
documentation? A site I where I can point my friends to and say "This is the
UbuntuWomen site"?

As far as I can tell, the following pages are all ours:

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/UbuntuWomenFAQs
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76
http://www.ubuntuwomen.org/

Plus the IRC channel on freenode.

Are there more?

Should we be working to consolidate and integrate all of these? I think *at
least* linking them would be helpful.

Cheers,

Lyz

--
Elizabeth A. Krumbach // Lyz at PrincessLeia.com
http://www.princessleia.com