[ubuntu-women] introduction

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Fri Mar 10 04:01:05 UTC 2006

On 10/03/2006, at 1:39 PM, chris wrote:

> I'm a web developer in the pacific northwest

Hiya chris! :)

> (hm, about 45 miles from
> Bill Gates as the crow flies).

I wonder if that's a safe distance... :D

> I switched to ubuntu last summer when I
> needed to get a development environment set up quickly, and I've been
> using it since.
>
> I volunteer with www.freegeek.org/fgoly.org recycling and refurbishing
> old computers.

There is a big need for this. I wish we could find a way to funnel
working but updated-from hardware to third-world countries without
having to pay huge shipping and distribution costs.

> We recently switched from debian to ubuntu on the boxes
> we give away

Hey, big step towards OSS! :)

> and I'm working with some folks in fgoly (where I live) to
> develop an education component for adopters of our freekboxes.

Debian EDU, GCompris etc.?

> I'm also on linuxchix lists - Clytie mentioned ubuntuwomen there so I
> thought I'd check it out. Thanks Clytie!

<blush>

Happy to see you here. :)

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)