[ubuntu-women] Happy Women's Day :)

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 9 10:47:18 UTC 2006

Clytie Siddall wrote:
> I never really think of Windoze and open-source in the same
> freeze-frame. Is there a significant and/or growing use of open-source
> software on Windoze?
Firefox is gaining significant market share on the web and and that
means people are using it on Windows (I would estimate that there are 10
times more people who use Firefox on Windows than there are people who
use Linux of any kind). This makes it an important stepping stone for
us. Once people get used to using these applications they will see the
switch to Ubuntu as easier because they will be using the same
applications and their data will be easier to move across. Some people
might also gradually be exposed to the ideas of FOSS and may seek to
migrate to a Free platform for that reason.

Companies and organisations who are planning to switch over to Free
platforms in the long term will often do it as a gradual process, first
moving most people onto OpenOffice on Windows and then gradually move
machines over to Linux as they are replaced or need an OS upgrade. So,
it's all parts of the puzzle.

- Henrik