[UbuntuWomen] Hello World

Sébastien Nicouleaud seb.nicouleaud at laposte.net
Thu Jun 29 09:37:55 UTC 2006

Hello Zuhdi,

GCC stands for both the "GNU Compiler Collection" and the "GNU C
Compiler".

As a compiler collection, it supports various programming languages (C,
C++, Java, Fortran, Ada...), and for each of them, it provides a
language specific "front-end":
- gcc, as in "GNU C Compiler".
- g++, the GNU C++ compiler.
- gcj, the GNU Java compiler.
- g77, the GNU Fortran 77 compiler.
- gnat, the GNU Ada compiler.

So, when calling the gcc command, you're running the GNU C compiler, not
some language-independant compiler (such a command doesn't exist).

The GCC website explains this (far better than me), if you're
interested :)

The GCC website:
http://gcc.gnu.org/

The manual introduction for gcc 4.1.1: