[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu-Women team on Launchpad

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at canonical.com
Mon Apr 3 11:30:41 UTC 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, at 4:12 PM, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 30/03/2006, at 7:06 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>> First, in Launchpad, a "project" doesn't mean what you think it
>> means. Launchpad uses the term "project" to refer to a group of
>> products, so they can share the same bug tracker and translation
>> group (a "translation group" being a set of translation teams).
>> Mozilla, Gnome, KDE, and Apache are projects, because they produce
>> many related software products. But Ubuntu Women? Not really. :-)
>
> Then using the word "project" isn't particularly useful, since it
> contradicts the usual meaning of the word, a group of people working
> towards the same aims, sharing the same tasks. Language is only
> effective if both the person using it and the person receiving it
> understand basically the same thing by it.

I know, I know ... Several of us tried to change Mark Shuttleworth's
mind about this at the Launchpad workshop a couple of weeks ago.
<https://wiki.launchpad.canonical.com/FixingProjects> But he isn't
persuaded yet.

> Does a "team" have a meaning closer to the common use of "project"
> than a Launchpad "project" does?

Probably, yes.

> Oh, come on, Matthew, it's much more common than not to find websites
> and services which decide to have their regular 'downtime" during
> their N. hemisphere night, which is day for at least some of us. It
> would help if they varied that a bit.

In addition to Jane's explanation about the non-existence of the "N.
hemisphere night", it may be interesting to know that when Launchpad is
brought down for maintenance, it's done by one of two people: Stuart
Bishop, who lives in Thailand, or Robert Collins, who lives in
Australia.

>>>  ... I still get no extra options for U-W or U-W/+translations.
>>
>> That's because you haven't registered any products to translate. If
>> you're going to make books or leaflets or something that can be
>> converted into .po files for translation, you can register those as
>> products in Launchpad, and translate them from there (the Ubuntu
>> Documentation Team is going to be doing this, for example).
>
> So I need to register each group of files separately? How do I do
> this, please?

 From the front page, click "Products", then "Register a Product". (For
something that's not software, the fields toward the end of that form
won't be relevant, so you can leave them blank.)

> When I go to set the translation options for U-W, I am asked to choose
> between existing Translation Teams. I don't want to do that: this is a
> separate translation effort, and for various reasons, we want to keep
> our translations closed.
>
> How do I create a separate Translation Team: the Ubuntu-Women
> Translation Team?

In theory, you can do that here:
<https://launchpad.net/rosetta/groups/+new>

In practice, it looks like only "Rosetta Experts" have permission to do
that. (I'm not sure why.) So you'll need to keep pinging on the Rosetta
mailing list, or talk to carlos or jordi on
irc.freenode.net/#launchpad.

> Also, is it possible for more than one of us to manage our project on
> Launchpad? Because I'm managing the translations, I've had to be
> logged as project admin, but there are others who would be much better
> choices for other admin tasks. Can we choose our own Project as a Team
> for admin?

I'm sorry, I don't understand that question. Can you give the Launchpad
URLs of (1) the thing you want to be the owner, and (2) the thing you
want it to be the owner of?

Cheers
- --
Matthew Paul Thomas