[utah-devel] rsyslog and utah

Andy Doan andy.doan at canonical.com
Wed Feb 20 23:06:49 UTC 2013

On 02/20/2013 09:06 AM, Andy Doan wrote:
> On 02/20/2013 02:51 AM, Jean-Baptiste Lallement wrote:
>>
>> On 02/20/2013 05:17 AM, Andy Doan wrote:
>>> As you know, I've been playing with the rsylog branch[1] by adding some
>>> live logging of the installation. However, I may have hit a bump in the
>>> road when testing server images. The server install runs from a busybox
>>> shell which includes a simplified "logger" implementation that doesn't
>>> seem to work with rsyslog.
>> I'm curious to know what doesn't work exactly with remote syslog and
>> debian-installer based installation (server images)? I haven't found a
>> single bug in Debian and Ubuntu about remote logging not working during
>> installation.
>
> Sounds like its probably user error on my part. I've got to look more
> into some desktop stuff today, but will try and dig into this soon.

Thanks for calling me out! It came down to a subtle typo in code:

         if 'log_port' not in self.cmdline:
             option = 'log_post={}'.format(self.rsyslog.port)
             self.logger.info('Adding {} option for rsyslog'
                              .format(option))
             self.cmdline += ' ' + option

note the "log_post" in the code that sets the cmdline argument :)