[utah-devel] Migration branch example

Joe Talbott joe.talbott at canonical.com
Tue Aug 7 13:28:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 02:47:30PM +0200, Javier Collado wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just pushed a very simple branch to test my understanding of
> the utah client to:
> lp:~javier.collado/ubuntu-test-cases/desktop
>
> The branch contains a test suite and a master runlist that reuses
> the same test suite twice. The master.run file contents is as
> follows:
>
> testsuites:
>  - name: default
>    fetch_cmd: '[ -d "default" ] || bzr export default
> ${UTAH_BRANCH:=lp:~javier.collado/ubuntu-test-cases/desktop}/default'
>  - name: default2
>    fetch_cmd: '[ -d "default2" ] || bzr export default2
> ${UTAH_BRANCH:=lp:~javier.collado/ubuntu-test-cases/desktop}/default'
>
> As you can see above in this file:
> - bzr export is used instead of bzr branch and it works fine
> - an environment variable is used in case you want to work with a
> local branch instead of the launchpad branch
>
> A few comments I have from the experience working on this file are:
> - I had to use quotation marks since I got yaml parsing errors for
> the vertical bars.
> - I like to use [ -d <directory> ] to download data only when
> needed. Anyway, I have to remember to run 'rm -rf <directory>' when
> I want to get latest changes for a test suite. Any idea about how to
> improve this?
> - I noticed that the client creates a directory with the name given
> in the 'name' field and that the fetch command is expected to create
> another directory using the same name. If that directory isn't
> found, the client will not return any error (I'll open a bug about
> that).
> - It would have been nice to to have some way to write fetch
> commands more concisely.
>
> With regard to the tc_control file, I've got also a couple of comments:
> - What are the expected values of the `type` field and what are
> their meaning? In the examples directory I only found `userland`.

We haven't yet decided on the choices for type and it is currently not
used for anything.

> - What is the meaning of the `command` field in the tc_control file?
> There's already a `command` field in the tslist.run file, so I'm not
> sure what is supposed to be used for.

The original intent was that the command field in the tc_control file
was the default command to run the test and the command field in the
tslist.run file was an override.  I think we should make command
mandatory in the tc_control file and optional in the tslist.run file.

Thanks,
Joe