System won't boot after failed upgrade from 23.10 to 24.05

Walt Mankowski waltman at pobox.com
Sat May 25 22:13:50 UTC 2024

On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 06:02:20PM -0400, Sarunas Burdulis wrote:
> On 2024-05-25 16:45, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> > [... ... ...] Above that I see that dbus.service failed to start. And
> > above that I
> > see a bunch of failed dependencies for half a dozen SSSD responder
> > sockets. I'm not able to scroll up beyond that.
> >
> > I do nightly backups so with any luck I haven't lost any data. Is
> > there any way I can get back in there in single user mode and have it
> > finish the upgrade to 24.04?
>
> If you see Grub boot menu, you can try Advanced, Recovery and see how far it
> gets and what options are offered.

No, I never see a Grub boot menu. It just goes right from the BIOS
screen to a bunch of bootup messages.

> Another way would be to boot a live system from USB, mount and chroot into
> broken system and try continuing the upgrade.

That's probably going to be the next thing I do.

> However, given the backups, I would probably just do a fresh install.

All things being equal I'd prefer to try to recover it. If not, well,
the box is about 6 years old. It might be easier to just build a new
box!

Walt