symlink persist follow-up

Keith keithw at caramail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:10:29 UTC 2023

On 9/26/23 1:19 AM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
> Sunday, September 24, 2023  at 14:16, Keith wrote:
> Re: symlink persist follow-up (at least in part)
>
>> On 9/24/23 5:43 AM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>>> Sunday, September 24, 2023  at 9:33, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>>> Re: symlink persist follow-up (at least in part)
>>>
>>> is there a "SAFE" way to (re)build / clean fstab ??
>>
>> Well, the 23.10 fstab below should work. You'll need to make a
>> subdirectory under /mnt to use as a mountpoint (I used jammy).  I also
>> would verify the UUID's of root volumes for 22.04 and 23.10.
>
>> OTOH, if it's working now, maybe don't mess any further with it.
>
> Maybe should have stopped there but ...
> took a while to get it working (made a copy of fstab to fall back to) in the
> end I found that "errors-remount-ro" should have been  "errors=remount-ro"
> every time I tried it dropped me to a new (to me anyway) Emergency mode consol,
> like recovery but with history? it could just be 23.10 is more delicate to this
> stuff

Oh geez, I'm sorry about that. Made the mistake while trying to get the
line to format correctly and not auto-wrap.

It does seem like it should be a little more forgiving. Ordinarily I
would have thought it would just ignore it as an invalid option and move on.

> I have it running BUT no drive icons on launcher, compared to 22.04 the fstab
> is much the same (just UUID difs) 22.04 shows drives on launcher, I can get
> them 2if" I use disks that add the gvfs stuff and loses the comments
>
> thanks for patience

Yeah, the 22.04 volume should be mounted and its contents available
under /mnt/jammy, but I guess gnome needs the x-gvfs stuff in /etc/fstab
to make the volumes shown/hidden to gvfs aware applications like
nautilus, the dock and the like.

I'm a wee surprised the mounted 22.04 volume didn't show up in nautilus.
On my machine the root / and win10 ntfs volumes do appear in the "Other
locations" section, but not on the dock. Neither of them has x-gvfs
options listed in their /etc/fstab entries, though. Ah well.

So, hopefully it's all working now?

--
Keith