Re-owning a system to pass on

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Sep 18 16:16:08 UTC 2023

At Mon, 18 Sep 2023 16:21:39 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,? not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I have a freshly-wiped and installed laptop which I am donating to a
> local student. It's elderly (Dell Latitude) but perfectly functional,
> but the sole username is mine (peter). Once I know the new user's name,
> what is the best procedure for re-owning the system under their name?

Step 1: Make a backup!  (Always make a backup).
Step 2: Create a new user w/admin privs.
Step 3: After making sure the new user works (can be logged in and can do
        admin stuff properly), delete your username [peter] (you'll want to do
        this from the new user's login).
Step 4: Delete /home/peter (sudo rm -rf /home/peter).

Optional: diddle with /etc/hostname and /hosts to change the computer's name,
if that matters (I almost *never* use the "default" Ubuntu install nonsense of
naming the computer "RobertsComputer" or whatever it does).

Done.

Be sure to tell the new user to change his password (maybe a short lecture on
strong passwords should be included).

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364