bananapim5 vs dns

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Oct 29 10:46:25 UTC 2023

Greetings network experts.
I've a wierd problem that points at nsswitch.conf but only seems to
affect on board of several.

This stuff is all behind a NAT in the 192.168.xxx.xxx reserved range.

Network in general works great, but only for stuff in the /etc/hosts
file on that arm64 board. Where and what do I put in /etc/nsswitch.conf
to make it use the dns my whole home net uses by each mchine checking
fist the hosts file, and if not there, send the request to the router,
and if dnsmasq doesn't have it cached, it forwards it on to my ISP's dns
server.  That has worked great for 2 decades and change. But a dns
request seems to look at the hosts file, and dies when that fails.

I know this is not right, but I just edited the NetworkManager's version
of /etc/resolv.conf which did have "search coyote,den" and replaced it
with "nameserver 192.168.xx.1", wrote it and immediately sudo chattr +i
resolv.conf, and fixed it, I can now browse this ball of rock and water.

Yabut, whats the real, approved fix?

Thanks all.
Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)