Ubuntu and snap

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Oct 27 08:43:32 UTC 2023

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 10:16:37AM +0200, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
> Hi list,
> I've several CentOS 7 VPS that I want migrate to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. I'm
> not new to Ubuntu LTS but I need some clarification about snap.
>
> 1) Snap packages get update automatically, I can disable this behaviour?
> I don't like my server updating by itself.
>
> 2) Suppose I install a software that is provided by a snap package. I
> discover that this software has a problem for my usage and I want to fix
> it. How I can do this? I should wait that Canonical release the new snap
> or I can modify the snap packages as I need? When using CentOS and
> Debian I can take the source package, apply a patch and recompile the
> packages when it is needed.
>
> 3) I read Ubuntu PRO. The support is relative also to snap packages or
> only for packages inside base and universe repos?

Not a detailed/direct answer to the above but on my [x]ubuntu systems
I have simply removed the snap daemon (snapd) and this prevents any
snap updates etc.  The only software that I (once) used on my systems
that was updated via snap was Firefox and I have moved to Vivaldi for
my main browser now so that doesn't matter.

--
Chris Green