Thunderbird email address display

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Oct 5 08:13:25 UTC 2023

On 4/10/23 22:35, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 04/10/2023 2:36 pm, Karl Auer wrote:
>
>>  n the mailbox contents list, however, the display name is shown
>> rather than the email addresses.
>
> Aha! I see what you mean.
>
>> Having the option to display actual sender and recipient addresses in
>> the mailbox contents list would be a good thing.
>
> There is such an option:
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/names-bug-no-email-addresses-are-displayed
>
> However, it does not affect the message list.
>
> There is an add-on to change this:
>
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/thunderbird/addon/full-address-column/
>
> But it doesn't work in 115 yet. The authors have opened a bug. This
> suggests to me that this is *not* new behaviour, though.

As the screenshot, at 544kB, is too big to be allowed through, see
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-GB/thunderbird/addon/full-address-column/?src=search

Note:

"Works with Thunderbird 68.0a1 - 114.*"

"About this Add-on
THIS ADD-ON DOES NOT WORK IN THUNDERBIRD 115

Due to Supernova changes in Thunderbird, it is no longer possible to
manipulate columns from an add-on, even with full privileges. There are
proposed changes to re-enable the feature. Until those changes are
merged and released, the add-on can't be fixed.

This add-on adds two new columns called "Sender (@)" and "Recipient (@)" in
message list containing full, raw addresses of sender and recipient instead
of just names like in default columns.

This add-on is reimplementation of "Show address only" add-on, which
stopped working
in Thunderbird 78. This add-on source is heavily inspired by "SFreq"
add-on source by Jorg K"

So, the Supernova malware makes Thunderbird v115 malware.

Luckily, I did not naively downgrade my installations of Thunderbird to
the malware edition; v115, on all my systems, so, I can still use the
superior and trustworthy version 102.15.1 (64-bit), on one of my other
systems.

It ios unfortunate that due to the malignants responsible for
Thunderbird v115, I can no longer use Thunderbird on my primary system.

"One computer for this application, one computer for that application, ..."

It is unfortunate that Linux is no longer truly multitasking (well,
reasonably safely, anyway), needing different computers to run different
packages.

Bret Busby
Armadale
Western Australia