Can a package be returned to a previous version

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 18:02:36 UTC 2023

Hey there,

Liam Proven wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:

>> That was uncalled-for, Liam.

>No, it really isn't. For an example, I just searched my Ubuntu-users
>folder for the word "sabotage", a word that Bret has used a lot in
>the past, and found a dozen threads started him where he accuses the
>Ubuntu maintainers of deliberately putting spyware into the OS and
>otherwise breaking it.

I see. What Bret asked for was a way to revert Thunderbird to a
previous version in an effort to overcome an issue with problematic
behavior in the latest version. As part of that request, he suggested
a possible reason for the problematic behavior. It would be helpful
if you would focus on the request rather than the reason for it.

>It's not doing what Bret says it's doing.
>
>Now, to be fair, I am typing on an iMac running macOS 12 "Monterey"
>but it's the same email client.  I also have it on Windows and
>Ubuntu. It has not hidden anything from me that I have seen,
>anywhere.

It's common for software issues to happen in only some environments
or for only some users. Your copies of Thunderbird don't exhibit the
behavior, but Bret's copy does. And once again, his request was for
how to revert Thunderbird.

It looks like Volker Wysk suggested specifying a version to
install with apt:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2023-October/311272.html

Keith said that the previous version is no longer available that way
and suggested using a .deb file instead. He also pointed out that
security vulnerabilities sometimes aren't patched in older versions:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2023-October/311284.html

I wasn't able to find what I consider to be reliable information on
whether or not packages installed from .deb files need to be pinned or
held back in some way to prevent them from being updated
automatically. Perhaps you have some experience with the proper use
of those files and could add that information here.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.