Desktop froze

Bill bstanle at wowway.com
Sun Jun 11 21:48:43 UTC 2023

Hi,

I am using Mint 21.1 (Vera) with the Mate desktop, running on an I 7 CPU
and 12 GB of memory.  Recently, I had the desktop freeze up.  At the
time, I was doing nothing of importance (playing solitaire while waiting
for an important phone call) and there was nothing that I was running in
the background.  I was dragging a card to another pile when the drag
operation just stopped.  The entire desktop stopped.  The mouse cursor
could move around normally but nothing could be selected.  The keyboard
also stopped working, so obviously all of the input functions were not
working.  I could not even select a terminal window to drop down to a
command prompt or do an orderly shutdown.  The only solution was to hold
down the power button to force a system shutdown. After a new startup,
everything worked as it should.

My question is, what happened?  Presumably I could find a clue to what
happened by looking  at the log files.  Which ones should I look at and
where are they located.  I do not think it was a hardware problem and
probably was the Mate desktop.   I want to know what happened and is it
very serious.  It seems that everything now is OK and I was doing
nothing of importance and lost no data.

Bill Stanley