Printer install problem

Bill bstanle at wowway.com
Wed Jul 26 15:09:09 UTC 2023

On 2023-07-26 05:37, Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 26/07/2023 02:47, Bill wrote:
>
>> I have tried your suggestion of "purge cups-browsed" and reinstalled
>> hplip.  I still am unable to get the printer to work.
>
> Purge that repo hplip.
> Go to https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing
> Download hplip-3.23.5.run or whatever the current version is.
> Go to your downloads directory
> Type chmod +x hplip-3.23.5.run
> Then run it with ./hplip-3.23.5.run (NOT as root)
>
> It will spew out a lot of checking information, then unwrap itself and
> test your system for all the support packages it needs. If some are
> missing, it will ask for your password to download and install them.
>
> It will take a long time, be patient.
>
> Eventually it will install, and ask if you want to continue in a
> window. This will pop up a window where you can recognise the printer,
> name it, and print a test page.
>
> Peter

WS=> I tried that already.  I visited that website, downloaded,
installed and ran as the website instructed.  I did this all yesterday
without any results.  The printer queue says that the test file ( a
simple 10 character text file ) was pending.  sometimes a popup window
said that there was a connection problem.  I tried other printer cables
with the same results.  I am willing to try again as you suggested.