Printer advice

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Thu Jul 20 18:26:07 UTC 2023

On 20/07/2023 03:26, Bill wrote:
> 1. The most important thing is that it must work with Linux. (This
>    goes without saying.)

AFAIK all the major manufacturers now support multiple interface
protocols, so they should all work with Linux. Basically if CUPS can
talk to the printer, it should work.

> 2. It must operate with a USB connection.  (Wireless connections are
>    problematic.)

Hardwire is fairly failsafe. Mine is Ethernet, but I agree that printer
wifi connections need more work.

> 3. It has to be a color ink jet printer.
> 4. It should be inexpensive.

They're all of that: they rook you on the ink as usual.

> I would prefer it to be a HP printer.

I have had HP printers for decades and while they have deteriorated in
design, and in their relationship with ink, they still work for me.
Currently I have an OfficeJet Pro 7720 which scans and prints, and also
prints A3 which is important for me (it can also act as a fax, FFS :-)
The strong support for Linux is a big plus point.

It's set to auto-update, so it suffered for a few months from a bodged
driver which made it cycle through the power-up routine on each job, but
when I logged it as an error, it was fixed in a few weeks. I use it
almost daily, on jobs from single pages to c.50 pages, and it's fast and
fairly good with the ink.

I hesitate to recommend HP because of their declining customer service
and fading technical knowledge, but I have not used much else. The
occasional times I tangled with a Brother or Epson, it meant hunting for
and downloading "special" drivers for Linux -- they *did* exist, and
they worked fine, but it took maybe half a day to find them because
no-one knew where they were :-) But both make good printers, with the
same caveat about profligacy with ink.

Peter