Printer advice

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jul 20 04:01:39 UTC 2023

On 7/19/23 22:27, Bill wrote:
> HI.
>
> I have to select a printer for a new Ubuntu installation.  The old
> printer has "died" so I need to select a new printer.  the requirements
> are:
>
> 1. The most important thing is that it must work with Linux. (This goes
> without saying.)
> 2. It must operate with a USB connection.  ( Wireless connections are
> problematic. )
> 3. It has to be a color ink jet printer.
> 4. It should be inexpensive.
>
> I would prefer it to be a HP printer.  Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Bill Stanley

While I would prefer Brother I have 2 of them here,  Both of them work
to their full capability with brothers own drivers for linux IF you
remove cups-browsed so the bother drivers have full access to the
printer. A relative high end brother MFC-DJ6920-DW color inkjet, several
years old now, never clogged a nozzle, ink has brilliant colors when
doing photo work on glossy paper from the top tray, or usable color at
10 pages a minute on duplex paper from the bottom tray, can handle 11x17
tabloid paper hand fed from a rear slot, and has a scanner on top that
does beautiful color work with a duplexing adf for letter/A4, or lift
the top for full tabloid sized copy's.

For utility black and white, brother has a small, cheap at $120 laser,
spits out duplex B&W at 19 pages a minute, and like the bigger inkjet
Just Works if its got paper in the drawer.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis