Setting up a Buffalo LS210D NAS

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 17 16:41:24 UTC 2023

On 7/17/23 09:18, Little Girl wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> Jay Ridgley wrote:
>
>> I placed the following line in my /etc/fstab:
>>
>> 192.168.1.23:/D210 /big_archive nfs tcp,noexec,intr     0 0
>>
>> when I issue the mount command the return message is "mount.nfs
>> Connection refused"
>>
>> What am I missing here?

Thank you Little Girl

I am making the following distinctions:

Server: a Buffalo LinkStation LS210D

Client: a Dell Optiplex 9010 that is named polar in my network. It is
currently using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS as the operating system. There are no
other OS's installed.

> Is 192.168.1.23:/D210 the IP of the client machine?
This is for the Buffalo LS210D (it is an NAS) 192.168.41.23 is the IP
address of that device. The D210 is a folder( on the LS210D.

> Is big_archive the shared directory on the server machine?
/big_archive is a directory used as a mount point on the machine I am
using NOT the NAS. I have been using it as a mount point for several
years with various backup devices.

> Just as an aside, these are the mount options I normally use
> in /etc/fstab: users,rw,hard,intr,noauto,noexec

from fstab man page:

1st field (fs_spec): 192.168.1.23:/D210

2nd field (fs_file): /big_archive

3rd field (fs_vtype): nfs (Should this be xfs? The Buffalo uses that as
it's file system type.

> What does /etc/exports look like on the server machine?
I have no idea (since the Buffalo  does not make the information
available, AFIK)

> Is nfs-common or nfs-kernel-server installed on the client machine?
Both are installed.

> What does the mount command look like on the client machine?

 From /etc/fstab:

192.168.1.23:/D210 /big_archive nfs  rw,nolock     0 0

I have been issuing from the command line the following command to test
with:

sudo mount -a

Latest response from that is:

mount.nfs: Connection refused

 From you second message:

I should add this question, since it probably goes without saying, but
is nfs-kernel-server installed on the server machine and has it been
enabled and restarted?

NO IDEA, the Buffalo uses a propitiatory OS.

I hope this gives you enough information. If there is something you see that requires a change let me know and I will try it.

Thank you,
Jay

--
Jay Ridgley