Migrate Outlook into Thunderbird?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 04:07:41 UTC 2023

On Wed, Jul 12, 2023 at 8:01 PM Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2023 at 1:40 PM Sarunas Burdulis
> <sarunas at math.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry if I missed this already mentioned here, but there is a standard
> > Ubuntu package ‘pst-utils’:
> >
> > $ apt show pst-utils
> > This package contains tools based on libpst to read data from Microsoft
> > Outlook PST files.
> >     * readpst - export data from PST files to a variety of formats,
> > including mbox, MH and KMail. Other packages like mb2md are available
> > for subsequent conversions to Maildir and other formats.
> >     * lspst - list data in PST files.
> >
> > I don't have any .pst files to test.
>
> Arg, that was smart. I did not think to check the package manager.
>
> I'm currently doing some contract work for a Windows shop. Maybe I can
> give it a whirl...

readpst from pst-utils seems to be parsing my backup file in pst
format. It is still parsing the backup file.

The file was created with Outlook from Microsoft Office Professional
Plus 2016, and the backup file is 1.86 GB in size.

BB > Lots of suggestions to download various converter programs from obscure
BB > websites, which I am reluctant to do...
BB >
BB > I have no idea how to vet any of these suggested programs so I do
not get hit
BB > with some backdoor/virus/datatheft problem.

libpst with the utilities are available in Debian Salsa,
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/libpst . That's good provenance, to me
at least.

Jeff