Migrate Outlook into Thunderbird?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 13:13:12 UTC 2023

On Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 1:19 AM Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2023 09:16:38 -0700, Steven Davies-Morris
> <sdavmor at systemstheory.net> wrote:
>
> >Thunderbird release 17.x is what I have used.  Install it on Windows
> >then use the built-in Outlook import tool to read the PST files.  This
> >gets you away from Outlook into an older version of Thunderbird.  You
> >will see you existing Outlook account setup mapped into Thunderbird.
> >Then copy the Thunderbird storage files over to your Linux system and
> >open them in a current version of Thunderbird.  You should be good to go.
> >
> >Alternatively there are 3rd party software solutions that will let you
> >open the PST files and export to one of many formats, including MBOX.
> >Those will cost you some change however. Probably $50 USD or so.
> >
> >If you can't find Thunderbird 17.x out there in the wild let me know and
> >I will upload it to a 21 day fileshare.
>
> I found the TB version store here:
> https://thunderbird.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions
>
> But when I navigated to TB version 17.x it turned out those were from 2012-2013.
> I really doubt that there is support for the Outlook 2019 version there...
>
> As I mentioned in a recent post I installed the current version of TB and it is
> 102.13.0.

I don't think it's a good idea to download random code from a place
called uptodown.com. You should get the code with an established
provenance.

And be careful of app stores like Microsoft and library stores like
NuGet. Microsoft does not take responsibility for them. Daniel
Stenberg had a heck of a time getting an old version of cURL removed
from NuGet. It was uploaded by some random person, and the version of
cURL had 68 outstanding CVEs. See
https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2023/03/02/the-curl-nuget-story/ .

> In this version there is next to no control over *what* to import/convert, just
> "Outlook" and the selection of which kind of data.
>
> I have multiple PST files attached to my Outlook because it handles 3 mail
> accounts and each uses one PST file and additionally I have archived data in 4
> extra PST files.
>
> In the import sequence in TB 102.13.0 there is no way I can see to select
> *which* PST or which mail account to convert.
> Sum total of PST files is 15.2 GB.

Jeff