Migrate Outlook into Thunderbird?

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Mon Jul 10 07:18:14 UTC 2023

I have done this several times.  I keep an old version of Thunderbird around for exactly this.  I will post information about how to do this Monday.Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device
-------- Original message --------From: Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> Date: 7/10/23  12:14 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com Subject: Re: Migrate Outlook into Thunderbird? On Mon, 10 Jul 2023 03:01:38 +0800, Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:>> Hi Bret,>> did you ever migrate to ThunderBird from Outlook?>> >> I have a ton of old emails in my Outlook PST files and the fact that I have not>> yet found a way to migrate them to some non-proprietary format acceptable to>> Linux mail clients has forced me to continue using Outlook 2019...>> And Windows too.>> >> >>Hello.>>No, I have not migrated email messages (and filters, configurations, >etc), from any "brand" MUA, to a different one; what I have done, in >each occasion, is simply discontinued use of one, and, set up, and used >instead, another one.>...>You had asked "Where can I ask such questions and be on topic?", so, I >had pointed you to the Thunderbird email list of which I am aware (and >subscribed to); migration from one MUA to another, may be able to be >done, but, I have no experience of it.>Thanks, I had a look at the mail list link and it seems to be downgraded and notvery active. Additionally I am not really comfortable using email for thingslike this. That is why I am using GMANE so I can use a newsreader rather thanemail for my communication here...News or a web forum is what I need, I think.But I found that the Mozilla Support pages cover a bit of what I am looking forand they seem to have realized that there are a lot of Outlook users to helpmigrate.So there seems to be a *built-in* migration tool within Thunderbird which nowalso handles Outlook PST files:https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-import#w_how-to-import-settings-and-data-with-the-import-toolIt was not existing when I last changed laptop and had to set it all up back in2019, so I had to get MSOffice 2019 with Outlook in order to still have accessto my old email store.But the 2019 version seems to be the last MS-Office that is a regular installlocally on your PC, from then on you are supposed to go on-line and haveMicrosoft handle all of your data in the "cloud" using a subscription! Not everfor me! My data stays with myself.I have a couple of last (I hope) questions here:1) Do I need to install Thunderbird on the Windows laptop in order to do themigration? It might be a hidden requirement that Outlook is installed on the PCwhere the migration is being done, but I can't find that info.Or kan I copy the PST files over to Ubuntu and let the migration be handled byTB on Ubuntu?2) If I have to migrate on Windws, then in order to go to Ubuntu, can I justcopy the TB profile to the correct place on Ubuntu and point TB to it there andit will work? I.e. are file formats etc compatible Linux/Windows?-- Bo BerglundDeveloper in Sweden-- ubuntu-users mailing listubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.comModify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users