Where to report a Snap/Panel bug

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 19:27:31 UTC 2023

Hey there,

Oliver Grawert wrote:

>yes, snap upgrades are atomic, that means unlike debs or rpms that
>bindly overwrite existing old files (i.e. icons) on disk during
>upgrade, a snap is actually fully removed before the new updated snap
>is added.

Although some "magic" is happening, since our customizations
(settings, extensions, themes, and bookmarks) are all being preserved
despite that.

>that indeed exposes some issues on software like panels ... while
>gnome gracefully handles the removal/re-addition of the icon file in
>its dash (panel), KDE might not do that.

Then this is sounding like a KDE issue, since the main problem is the
invisible icon.

>there are two sides of this "bug" ... one is the behavior of snaps
>which other software does not seem to handle very well yet (but will
>surely learn it over time), the other is the respective panel ...

Okay.

>for the snap side you should open a bug on snapd (if there isnt one
>already) on launchpad ... just use "ubuntu-bug snapd" like for any
>other bug you report. i.e. there might be some call needed to update
>some icon cache specifically for KDE that is not handled properly or
>some such.

Okay, I'll open a Launchpad bug for snapd and mention the possibility
of the needed call. I don't do bug reports the way you said, though,
so I'll find my way on the Launchpad website.

>for the panel side you might have to poke KDE ... i know there is
>quite some effort on the KDE side currently to integrate snaps a lot
>better so there might be interest to pick this up. the thing you
>describe after a reboot smells like (as i wrote above already) some
>stale outdatd cache on the KDE side to me ...

Okay. I'll file a KDE bug, too, and mention the cache as a
possibility.

>also note since about two months you should not need to do anything
>but close the app when the update notificaion shows up ... with
>latest snapd the update gets downloaded in advance, sits there until
>you close the app and gets automatically applied (you get a
>notificaion that the app is usable again once it is done) ...

I didn't realize that, but will give it a try the next time the
notification pops up.

>so here snap is finally moving further towards the no-touch process
>it has been planned to use from the beginning ...

The notification will have to be done away with eventually, too, to
make it seamless.

Thank you for the information and suggestions.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.