Where to report a Snap/Panel bug

Keith keithw at caramail.com
Wed Jul 5 14:55:14 UTC 2023

On 7/4/23 3:58 PM, Little Girl wrote:
> Hey there,

[snipped]

> To fix it, I then have to delete the invisible Firefox shortcut from
> the panel and recreate it from the K menu the same way I originally
> did. It then works and looks fine until the next time an update makes
> it vanish.
>
> I'm not sure what causes it and what prevents it from happening every
> time, but somebody on one of the teams will know. Even if the Snap is
> being replaced when that command is run, I'm pretty sure the path to
> the executable and the icon would remain the same, so you'd think the
> shortcut would continue to work without incident regardless of the
> replacement.

The path to the executable doesn't change (/snap/bin/firefox), but the
path to the icon does (/snap/firefox/<current enabled
revision>/default256.png). On my system,
/snap/firefox/2850/default256.png is the current icon path with 2850
being the current enabled firefox revision. When a new version is
installed, firefox_firefox.desktop file in
/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications will be updated and the icon path
changed to include the new snap revision.

To avoid having to recreate your shortcut every time firefox is updated,
you can copy /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/firefox_firefox.desktop
file to ~/.local/share/applications and in it modify the entry,
"Icon=/snap/firefox/2850/default256.png" to
"Icon=/snap/firefox/current/default256.png". This works in gnome as
.desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications supersede those that are
located in system directories like /usr/share/applications and
/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications. I'm guessing it'll work in kde as
well.

--
Keith