Where to report a Snap/Panel bug

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Jul 4 22:12:00 UTC 2023

On 5/7/23 05:30, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 4, 2023 at 5:00 PM Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I've got kind of an interesting dilemma. I've got a bug, but am not
>> sure how it would be classified or which team would be interested in
>> seeing it.
>>
>> I use Kubuntu 22.04 LTS I put a shortcut to Firefox on my panel
>> (taskbar) by right-clicking the Firefox entry in my K menu and
>> choosing "Add to Panel (Widget)."
>>
>> When Snap pops up the reminder on screen every so often to tell me
>> I need to update it, I run the sudo snap refresh firefox command. I
>> seem to remember being told that that replaces the Snap.
>>
>> Afterwards, the Firefox widget on the panel sometimes continues to
>> work without incident, but other times, it suffers a rather dramatic
>> cosmetic change by vanishing from sight. When this happens, the
>> invisible shortcut still takes up the same amount of space on the
>> panel, is still clickable, and still works. This never happens
>> immediately during or right after the update, but occurs either later
>> that day or when I boot up the next day.
>>
>> To fix it, I then have to delete the invisible Firefox shortcut from
>> the panel and recreate it from the K menu the same way I originally
>> did. It then works and looks fine until the next time an update makes
>> it vanish.
>>
>> I'm not sure what causes it and what prevents it from happening every
>> time, but somebody on one of the teams will know. Even if the Snap is
>> being replaced when that command is run, I'm pretty sure the path to
>> the executable and the icon would remain the same, so you'd think the
>> shortcut would continue to work without incident regardless of the
>> replacement.
>>
>> My question to you is: Is it a KDE bug (since it's affecting panel
>> behavior) or a Launchpad bug (since it's initiated by a Snap update)?
>>
>> I asked in IRC in the ubuntu-bug channel and they weren't sure, so
>> they recommended filing it as a KDE bug and relying on those folks to
>> move it if that's the wrong location for it. I figured one or more of
>> you might know for sure, though, especially since we've got at least
>> one Snap developer in here.
>
> I bet if you remove the old snap, then it will always break. (Snap
> leaves all its old artifacts lying around. You have to manually remove
> them).
>
> Jeff

What about using the four commands (previously mentioned in other
threads), in sequence, within sudo -i
apt update
apt full-upgrade -y
apt autoremove
apt autoclean

?

Perhaps, next timed that you see an update notification from the
(dreaded) snap dragon, to perform the update, try that command sequence,
and, find whether that solves the problem of the invisible shortcut?

I am no expert, but, it is a possible solution, that occurred to me.

..
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia