Full disk encryption with Ubuntu

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sat Jan 28 12:04:25 UTC 2023

Hi!

Am Samstag, dem 28.01.2023 um 16:31 +1000 schrieb Jared Norris:
> I'm trying to decide on the best approach, from what I can see the main
> options include
> 1 - hardware based SED -
> https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/overview-hardware-encryption
> 2 - Ubuntu installer based LVM/LUKS - encryption option offered during
> installation
> 3 - Ubuntu software based full disk encryption -
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Full_Disk_Encryption_Howto_2019
>
> I'm leaning towards 1 to remove any possible performance impact and also
> because I have no experience of either options 2 or 3. Option 2 looks
> relatively straightforward and option 3 looks incredibly painful. My main
> concerns with option 1 is that I'm worried what happens whenever I get a
> new PC and want to move the HDD.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with the options (or can suggest another)
> have a preferred approach?

It's possible to set up encryption with the Ubuntu installer *without using
LVM*. It's easy and LVM has drawbacks.

You need to do "Something different" in the installer, in the disk setup
step. Select your partition, which is to be encrypted and chose "Physical
volume for encryption". When you do that, the encrypted volume appears at
the top of the partition table. You need to scroll down, or you won't see
it.

Select the encrypted volume (it has a name ending with "_crypt") and specify
what to do with it. In your case, chose that it is to contain an ext4
filesystem. You also need to specify the mount point. That's "/" for whole
disk encryption. Also select that the volume is to be formatted.

Then continue with the installer. When booting, there should be a password
query and the disk is encrypted.

Cheers,
Volker