emacs window a solid black block after a distribution upgrade

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 14:29:13 UTC 2023

Hi Little Girl,

On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 at 14:12, Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see that you've already figured out that the issue happened while
> using Wayland, but I'm curious whether you've got a setting for this
> now that you're using Xorg.

Bear in mind I am No Expert in this...

I discovered that, when logging in, a cog would appear in the bottom half
of the display. Clicking on the cog would allow me to select one of two
options for providing the GUI.

I selected the one for "X" and logged in - perfect! emacs (G?UI) window
appeared fine, Firefox appeared OK.

The environment variable $XDG_SESSION_TYPE has the value "wayland" when the
GUI isn't working properly, and "x11" when it is.

HTH,

Ian

-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software