Kubuntu upgrade

Chris Roy-Smith chris_roysmith at internode.on.net
Mon Jan 16 02:07:55 UTC 2023

On 16/1/23 10:20, rikona wrote:
> I did the Kubuntu upgrade I asked about a while back. Used the
> suggested CLI method, first time for me, used to use GUI before. Went
> well, I liked it better than the GUI because it gave me some idea what
> was going on. The GUI sometimes stopped for no apparent reason.
>
> And thanks to all again for all the good info I got during that
> discussion!
>
> Now have 22.04, Plasma version 5.24.7, so up to date. But - it booted up
> with the Cinnamon desktop, not Plasma, which was running before. Not
> sure why that happened. Many like Cinnamon, so I thought I'd play
> around with it a while. It's nice, and I could stay with that if
> necessary.
>
> I assume there is not a way to switch back and forth while
> running, but perhaps a way to select which comes up at boot time. Is
> that possible, and if so, how? If I do that, will different things
> work/not work well. I'm seeing a bit of that now that Cinnamon is
> running the show.
>
> Thanks,
> Rik

Hi Rik,
got it wrong again (looked at mint install).
Ubuntu in all flavours allows multiple desktop install, and use.
To select the desired desktop (on Ubuntu) sign in screen at the top
right of the screen there will be an icon representing the current
selected desktop. If you click on it you will get a list of available
desktops, just click on the one you want, it will be remembered till you
make a new selection.

regards, Chris