Using a USB Bluetooth adaptor

Phil phillor9 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 01:15:54 UTC 2023

Thank you for reading this.

I bought a Realtek Bluetooth adapter 5 because my ageing laptop does not
support Bluetooth Low Energy. The adaptor's blue led is lit and it shows
up as #2 in the Bluetooth manager but a scan doesn't discover any Low
Energy devices.

It came with an installation disk for Windows so I tried the driver
installation there to see what would happen but the installation was
blocked by Windows because of an unauthorised Bluetooth adaptor error. I
did, however, discover that the required driver is 8761B which is
already installed in /lib/firmware/rtl_bt/.

I have Xubuntu version 22.10. I have Bluetooth adaptor #2 selected under
"Bluetooth Adapters". Is there another step that I'm missing? An
Internet search hasn't revealed any extra steps.

--

Regards,
Phil