Im trying to setup VirtualGL and TurboVNC on Ubuntu 22.10 : it does not work well or at all.

Mario Marietto marietto2008 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 20:59:34 UTC 2023

Hello.

Im trying to setup *VirtualGL and TurboVNC on Ubuntu 22.10* and I've found
this tutorial as a guide :

https://gist.github.com/cyberang3l/422a77a47bdc15a0824d5cca47e64ba2

>From the host (FreeBSD),I connect to the Ubuntu 22.10 VM through ssh
issuing the following commands proposed by the tutorial :

root at marietto:/home/marietto # ssh -Y
marietto at 192.168.1.3marietto@192.168.1.3's password:
Welcome to Ubuntu 22.10 (GNU/Linux 5.19.0-28-generic x86_64)

and I've started issuing the commands explained on the cyberang tutorial :

service lightdm stop

root at marietto-BHYVE:/opt/VirtualGL/bin# /opt/VirtualGL/bin/vglserver_config

1) Configure server for use with VirtualGL (GLX + EGL back ends)
2) Unconfigure server for use with VirtualGL (GLX + EGL back ends)
3) Configure server for use with VirtualGL (EGL back end only)
4) Unconfigure server for use with VirtualGL (EGL back end only)
X) Exit

Choose:
1

Restrict 3D X server access to vglusers group (recommended)?
[Y/n]

Restrict framebuffer device access to vglusers group (recommended)?
[Y/n]

Disable XTEST extension (recommended)?
[Y/n]
... Creating vglusers group ...
groupadd: group 'vglusers' already exists
Could not add vglusers group (probably because it already exists.)
... Creating /etc/opt/VirtualGL/ ...
... Granting read permission to /etc/opt/VirtualGL/ for vglusers group ...
... Creating /etc/modprobe.d/virtualgl.conf to set requested permissions for
    /dev/nvidia* ...
... Attempting to remove nvidia module from memory so device permissions
    will be reloaded ...
modprobe: FATAL: Module nvidia_drm is in use.
... Granting write permission to /dev/nvidia-modeset /dev/nvidia-uvm
/dev/nvidia-uvm-tools /dev/nvidia0 /dev/nvidiactl for vglusers group
... Granting write permission to /dev/dri/card0 for vglusers group ...
... Granting write permission to /dev/dri/renderD128 for vglusers group ...
... Modifying /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-virtualgl-dri.conf to enable DRI
    permissions for vglusers group ...
... Modifying /etc/X11/xorg.conf to enable DRI
    permissions for vglusers group ...
... Adding vglgenkey to /etc/gdm3/Init/Default script ...
... Adding vglgenkey to /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup script ...
... Adding greeter-setup-script=vglgenkey to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf ...
... Creating /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart/virtualgl.desktop

Done. You must restart the display manager for the changes to take effect.

REBOOT

root at marietto-BHYVE:/home/marietto# ps ax | grep virtualgl
nothing.

root at marietto-BHYVE:/home/marietto# xauth merge
/opt/VirtualGL/vgl_xauth_key xauth: (argv):1:
merge:  unable to open file /opt/VirtualGL/vgl_xauth_key

root at marietto-BHYVE:/home/marietto# find / -name vgl_xauth_key
nothing.

root at marietto-BHYVE:/home/marietto# xdpyinfo -display :0

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
xdpyinfo:  unable to open display ":0".

I'm using lightdm :

sudo systemctl disable gdm3

Synchronizing state of gdm3.service with SysV service script with
/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install disable gdm3

root at marietto-BHYVE:/etc/modprobe.d# sudo apt install lightdm
lightdm is already at the most recent version (1.30.0-0ubuntu7).

root at marietto-BHYVE:/etc/modprobe.d# sudo systemctl enable lightdm

Synchronizing state of lightdm.service with SysV service script with
/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable lightdm
The unit files have no installation config (WantedBy=, RequiredBy=, Also=,
Alias= settings in the [Install] section, and DefaultInstance= for template
units). This means they are not meant to be enabled using systemctl.

Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:

• A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit's
  .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
• A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has
  a requirement dependency on it.
• A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer,
  D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).
• In case of template units, the unit is meant to be enabled with some
  instance name specified.

root at marietto-BHYVE:/etc/modprobe.d# ps ax | grep lightdm

    797 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/sbin/lightdm
   1037 tty7     Ssl+   0:02 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -core :0 -seat seat0
-auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
   1222 ?        Sl     0:00 lightdm --session-child 14 17
   7209 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto lightdm

This is how I have configured the config. file needed to make virtualGL
works correctly :

*/etc/X11/xorg.conf :*

Section "DRI"
Mode 0660
Group "vglusers"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:0:8:0"
VendorName "Nvidia Corporation"
EndSection

*/etc/modprobe.d/virtualgl.conf :*

options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=1002
NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660

*nvidia-graphics-drivers-kms.conf :*

options nvidia-drm modeset=1

*/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-virtualgl-dri.conf :*

Section "DRI"
Mode 0660
Group "vglusers"
EndSection

*/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup :*

#!/bin/sh
Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears
/opt/VirtualGL/bin/vglgenkey

if [ -e /sbin/prime-offload ]; then
   echo running NVIDIA Prime setup /sbin/prime-offload    /sbin/prime-offload
fi

*/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf :*

[SeatDefaults]
[Seat:seat*]
greeter-setup-script=/opt/VirtualGL/bin/vglgenkey

*/usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart/virtualgl.desktop *

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/opt/VirtualGL/bin/vglgenkey

I have some doubts.

   1.

   *modprobe: FATAL: Module nvidia_drm is in use* : is this an error that
   should be fixed by me in some way ?
   2.

   on *ubuntu 22.10* I've installed *xfce4*,that it works well if I
"*Unconfigure
   server for use with VirtualGL (GLX + EGL back ends)*",instead,if I press
   1 on the *vglserver_config*,it stops to work well. In Fact I have some
   troubles when moving and closing windows,I see an "X" on the
   monitor,instead of the normal cursor,I can't create files and folders on
   the desktop. And I don't see any virtualgl process when I do a "*ps ax |
   grep virtualgl"* ; it is not launched. Further errors are the following :

root at marietto-BHYVE:/home/marietto# xauth merge
/opt/VirtualGL/vgl_xauth_key xauth: (argv):1:
merge:  unable to open file /opt/VirtualGL/vgl_xauth_key

root at marietto-BHYVE:/home/marietto# find / -name vgl_xauth_key
nothing.

root at marietto-BHYVE:/home/marietto# xdpyinfo -display :0
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key xdpyinfo:  unable to open display ":0".

*and mostly,the final error when I try to run the virtualGL server :*

root at marietto-BHYVE:/opt/VirtualGL/bin/# ./vglgenkey
xauth : file /etc/opt/VirtualGL/vgl_xauth_key does not exist

or :

root at marietto-BHYVE:/etc/modprobe.d# sudo rm /etc/opt/VirtualGL/vgl_xauth_key

root at marietto-BHYVE:/etc/modprobe.d# rm ~/.Xauthority

root at marietto-BHYVE:/etc/modprobe.d# sudo systemctl stop gdm

root at marietto-BHYVE:/etc/modprobe.d# sudo systemctl stop lightdm

root at marietto-BHYVE:/etc/modprobe.d# sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

dpkg-query: il pacchetto "gdm" non è installato e non è disponibile
alcuna informazione
Usare "dpkg --info" (= "dpkg-deb --info") per esaminare gli archivi.

/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: gdm is not installed

root at marietto-BHYVE:/etc/modprobe.d# sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

root at marietto-BHYVE:/etc/modprobe.d# sudo /opt/VirtualGL/bin/vglserver_config

[...]

# /opt/VirtualGL/bin/vglgenkey >vglgenkey.out 2>&1

Mario.