Installing an OS over the existing OS

Phil phillor9 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 00:24:39 UTC 2023

On 16/2/23 10:09, Aaron Rainbolt wrote:
> On 2/15/23 17:36, Phil wrote:

> 1. Take the hard drive out of the computer, plug it into another more
> capable computer, and then use virtualization to install an OS onto
> the drive.
> 2. Figure out how to get the system to boot from a USB. If it has USB
> boot support, that's hopeful, you may just need to make the bootable
> USB in a particular way in order to get the system to recognize it.
> 3. Use a live distro (like Puppy Linux) that is designed to be run
> from an ISO file, add a boot entry for it in GRUB, and then simply
> boot Puppy from the image file - you can use the rest of the drive to
> store your files.

Thank you Aaron, option 2 is by far the best option.

I created a bootable USB stick on another laptop using both etcher and
rufus. The A100 wouldn't boot from either. I also tried using etcher on
the A100, same result. I tried using unetbootin to create a bootable USB
stick but sudo ./unetbootin_etc only displays a message asking if I want
to remove the existing version. No, I just want it run again!

Frustration is starting to set in.

--

Regards,
Phil