Ubuntu 22.04: what is wrong with chromium-browser?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 21:08:36 UTC 2023

On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 1:55 PM Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> What is wrong with this:
>
> sauron% chromium-browser
> update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change mount
> (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/gimp/2.0/help /usr/share/gimp/2.0/help
> none bind,ro 0 0): cannot open directory "/var/lib/snapd": permission denied
> update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change mount
> (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/libreoffice/help
> /usr/share/libreoffice/help none bind,ro 0 0): cannot open directory
> "/var/lib/snapd": permission denied
> update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change mount
> (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/xubuntu-docs /usr/share/xubuntu-docs none
> bind,ro 0 0): cannot open directory "/var/lib/snapd": permission denied
> Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/x86_64/dl-machine.h: 534:
> elf_machine_rela_relative: Assertion `ELFW(R_TYPE) (reloc->r_info) ==
> R_X86_64_RELATIVE' failed!
>
> How do I fix it?

I know Jeffrey Walton suggested a work-around (use a non-snap version),
HOWEVER to be clear to those who didn't catch it -- those errors occur when
you try to launch chromium with root privileges. The snap sandboxing
doesn't allow the application to run with elevated privileges. When you
launch it with ordinary user privileges, the chromium-browser application
should run fine.

A few months ago, in a thread starting April 20th titled "non-snap version
of FF under Ubuntu 22.04?" several folks indicated they want to run the web
browser as root, and responders in that thread described several ways to
accomplish the tasks without it. SO maybe you would get additional helpful
suggestions if you described why you want to run it as root.