Audacity input level fixed 100%

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 12:37:25 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2023-08-17 at 13:52 +0200, Frank Vanoni wrote:
> In this specific case, I
> would like to record a short spoken text, but with the input at 100% a
> clear background noise is heard. If I get closer to the microphone, the
> speech is distorted. The idea is to lower the input level to drown out
> background noise and talk closer to the mic. The result is acceptable
> when monitored, but as soon as I start Audacity I get the mentioned
> error 9985. If I close Pavucontrol, Audacity resets the input level to
> 100%. Very irritating when a few minute job becomes a complication of a
> simple affair.

If the result is acceptable by a lowered digital domain input level in
combination with talking closer to the microphone, the chances are good
to get something working using your setup. I just can't comment on
Audacity or pulseaudio.

From
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/error_opening_sound_device.html :

   "Linux:

   While troubleshooting, ensure that Transport > Transport Options >
   Software Playthrough (on/off) is off. Only enable this option if you
   really need it, after you have established that Audacity is recording
   correctly.

   In the first instance, try refreshing Audacity's list of audio devices
   at Transport > Rescan Audio Devices then select the default option in
   Device Toolbar. If the error still occurs, recheck the Audacity
   settings."

Actually pulsaudio should be the solution for such issues. As a plain
ALSA of Jack user I usually blame pulsaudio for issues, but Audacity is
known for issues when using it with Jack, too. AFAIK the Jack issues
aren't solved by https://tenacityaudio.org/ either.

A pulseaudio expert should chime in.

Maybe one of the first three apss mentioned by
https://www.makeuseof.com/best-sound-recording-apps-for-linux/ can be
used to record (or any other simple recording app) and after that you
could import the audio files with Audacity to for postproduction.

I guess trying https://ardour.org/jack-n-pulse.html is not that straight
forward, at least not if you have never used a DAW before.

I might be offline for a while, since I'll make music using a DAW on
another operating system right now ;).