Still looking for a usable NAS for Ubuntu 23.04

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Aug 7 11:02:07 UTC 2023

On Mon, Aug 07, 2023 at 09:45:35AM +1000, Karl Auer wrote:

> What people often DON'T know is that a NAS is not a safe backup on its
> own, any more than a single USB drive is a safe backup on its own.

A backup on a NAS is a whole lot better than no backup! :-)

If/when you need the backup it means the system you are backing up has
failed, as long as the NAS is working (you do check regularly?) then
you have your backup and can restore your files.

Similarly if the NAS dies then your files are still on the system it's
backing up so you are still OK.

Yes, further backups are better but I don't really understand what you
mean by "a NAS is not a safe backup on its own".  Ultimately no number
of backups can be entirely foolproof but one is way better than none,
and then two is a bit more better and so on.

In some ways it's more important *where* the backup is than what it
is.  A backup on a drive within the system being backed up is not so
good as a backup on a separate system, then that is not so good as a
remote backup, etc.

--
Chris Green