Broken Gnome, Help needed

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sun Sep 11 09:37:54 UTC 2022

Am Samstag, dem 10.09.2022 um 21:02 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-
users:
> On Sat, 2022-09-10 at 18:53 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > The offending programs were /usr/libexec/tracker-extract-3 (twice),
> > /usr/libexec/gnome-session-binary, /usr/libexec/at-spi-bus-laucher and
> > /usr/libexec/tracker-miner-fs-3. The "ProblemType" was "Crash" in all five
> > cases, with signal 5.
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if it matters, but are you using x11 or wayland?
>
> $ loginctl show-session $(loginctl show-user $(whoami) -p Display --value) -p Type --value
>
> does show what is used.

That says "x11".

I was on Wayland. There was a little gearwheel on the login screen, where
you could change between Wayland and Wayland with some X compatibility
layer. That's what I tried. But next time, that gearwheel disappeared. Now I
don't know how to get back to Wayland.

> "what is at-spi-bus-launcher? what is the relation to the gtk
> applications like chromium etc..
>
>     in wayland , after closing chrome it doesnt end this process, in
> xorg it wasnt the case !!" -
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions/comments/6uw9ac/what_is_atspibuslauncher_what_is_the_relation_to/
>
> Googling for tracker-extract-3 returns complains about it's performance.
> It might be impossible to remove it, but disabling it seems to work:
> zur
> https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/07/how-to-completely-disable-tracker.html
>
> Running
>
> $ systemd-analyze blame
>
> shows how long it takes for a service to start.
>
> Without "blame" it displays how long startup needed to finish. It should
> be quite fast:
>
> $ systemd-analyze
> Startup finished in 2.645s (kernel) + 4.103s (userspace) = 6.748s
> graphical.target reached after 3.682s in userspace.
>
> This is an openbox, not a GNOME machine.
>
> Maybe, but perhaps not, tracker-extract-3 is too slow and the other
> errors are caused by the tracker issue. Just a shot in the dark.
>
> Unless somebody hasn't got a better idea, I would try to
> workaround/troubleshoot the issues by testing what happens, if x11 is
> used and tracker is disabled.
>
> This is just a wild guess, without real knowledge/experiences. I'm
> always sceptic if GNOME is involved and I stay with x11, due to
> prejudices related to wayland.
>
> So again, I'm prejudiced, it's just how I would start troubleshooting,
> but I could be completely mistaken. You might want to wait for better
> replies.
>
> FWIW the last time I run an Ubuntu live DVD with GNOME I didn't
> experience an issue, but this was a while back, probably defaulting to
> x11.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll get back to them after I've tried to restore
my Gnome settings.

Bye,
Volker