Broken Gnome, Help needed

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sun Sep 11 09:20:18 UTC 2022

Am Samstag, dem 10.09.2022 um 21:31 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-
users:
> On Sat, 2022-09-10 at 21:12 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sat, 2022-09-10 at 20:50 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> > > rm -rf ~/.gnome
> > >
> > > And anything that looks related?
> >
> > dconf is related ;).
> >
> > $ gsettings list-schemas | grep gnome
> >
> > You can reset the values recursively using either the gsettings command
> > or the dconf command.
> >
> > gsettings reset-recursively [...]
> > Resets all values in a given schema.
> >
> > dconf reset [...]
> > Resets the value of a key or dir.
>
> PS: I forgot to point out that you can backup and restore your current
> settings using
>
> dconf
>   dump              Dump an entire subpath to stdout
>   load              Populate a subpath from stdin
>
> or
>
> copy
>
> ~/.config/dconf/user

Actually, I have a backup of the Gnome settings. It's in my backup script,
where I included it years ago. It does it like this:

gsettings list-recursively > ...

Now I'm wondering how to restore the settings. I've read the gsettings
manpage, but it doesn't make much sense for me. Looks incomplete.

Do you know how to do it?

Cheers,
Volker