Broken Gnome, Help needed

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 07:32:52 UTC 2022

On Sun, 2022-09-11 at 08:56 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Won't help. Sounds like a settings issue, not a binaries one.
> >
> > Try
> >
> > rm -rf ~/.gnome
>
> There's no .gnome. And no .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity (taken from
> the link below) either. And no .config/gnome and no .local/gnome
> too...

Hi,

that's why Liam didn't copy and paste, but mentioned to look at
"anything that looks related". "gconf" was replaced by "dconf" a long,
long time ago, which is the reason that I provided pointers on how to
deal with dconf, by using the gsettings or dconf commands.

While I'm not a regular GNOME user, I'm using the dconf command and way
more often the gsettings command, too, since dconf is not only used by
GNOME.

$ gsettings list-schemas | grep -e"xfce\." | head -1
org.xfce.mousepad

$ gsettings list-recursively | grep -e"xfce\." | head -1
org.xfce.mousepad.plugins.gspell.preferences default-language 'en_US'

$ gsettings list-recursively | grep openbox || echo "Openbox doesn't use the \"registry\" :p"
Openbox doesn't use the "registry" :p

I don't use mousepad, but other apps that require dconf. My environment
- the windows manager openbox - doesn't depend on dconf.

Regards,
Ralf