boot an alternate kernel

Aaron Rainbolt arraybolt3 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 00:56:50 UTC 2022

> SDA1 is the grub partition
> SDA2 is a small Ubuntu test partition.  Home and root in the same partition.
> SDA6 Is a FAT32 drive shared by all the operating systems.
> SDA7 Is /home for SDA9.
> SDA8 Is swap.
> SDA9 Is the default boot partition - Ubuntu root
>
> Since there is only one grub partition I assumed that updating grub would keep
> everything current.  With this current problem it does not seem to work that
> way.  Updating from SDA9 did not update the grub menu but updating from SAD2
> did update the grub menu.  Which means the I have been lucky since I got this
> system in that nothing broke boot previously, it just may have not booted the
> latest kernel for SDA9.

By a "grub partition", do you mean "bios-grub", or do you mean a
separate "/boot"? If you mean a separate "/boot" partition, that's
almost certainly your culprit - you probably need to do "sudo mount
/dev/sda1 /mnt; sudo grub-mkconfig -o /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg" to
update the boot menu properly. (And if that does the trick, you'll
want to do an fstab tweak so your system updates the boot menu
automatically.)