boot an alternate kernel

Bob ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net
Thu May 26 07:05:07 UTC 2022

** Reply to message from Aaron Rainbolt <arraybolt3 at gmail.com> on Wed, 25 May
2022 18:08:27 -0500

> > I still have a bad boot menu.  I tried the grub-install command but that did
> > not fix the menu.  Any suggestions on how to get the boot menu to show the
> > correct kernels?
>
> Try "sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg". I believe that should
> do the trick. If not, something's weird.

Thank you.

That appeared to work.

bob1 at Juptier:~$ sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-33-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-33-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-30-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-30-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-46-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-46-generic
Memtest86+ needs a 16-bit boot, that is not available on EFI, exiting
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot
entries.
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/nvme0n1p1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Found Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (22.04) on /dev/sda2
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
done
bob1 at Juptier:~$

The image names are correct but the boot menu was not changed.  Where is the
output of the compile stored?

I tried grub-install but that did not update the boot menu either.

bob1 at Juptier:~$ sudo grub-install --recheck --force /dev/sda
[sudo] password for bob1:
Installing for i386-pc platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
bob1 at Juptier:~$

The first time I did this I did not use --force but there was no difference
with it or without it.

--
Robert Blair

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams