Budget-priced Windows license

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:35:08 UTC 2022

On Mon, 23 May 2022 at 14:08, Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:

> One thing that I am wondering, in this context, given that Ralf posted
> that (I believe that this is correct) he is using MS Windows in a
> virtual machine, running on top of Linux, is it better to run MS Windows
> in a virtual machine, on top of Linux, or, to run wine, in order to run
> applications that only run on MS Windows, on Linux?

A fair question.

TBH, I almost never need Windows apps, and when I do, what I need
mostly does run on WINE. I don't keep a Win VM around any more and
haven't for, oh my, probably a decade or so.

But most of my machines do dual-boot Win10 and Linux, because when I
do need something from Windows, it probably needs hardware access
and/or drivers and a VM won't help me.

It depends what you need. They aren't always interchangeable things.

I know Ralf does music stuff.  That needs very precise timings and
maybe exotic hardware. OTOH, maybe these days a VM is fast enough to
manage that.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053