Thinkpad L 15 gen 2 advice

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sun May 22 05:01:42 UTC 2022

On Sun, 2022-05-22 at 13:51 +1000, Phil wrote:
> I'm about to install lmsensors again so that I can check if the fan
> speed does increase with the temperature.

What you are interested in is the actual CPU temperature. Just because
it blows hot air, even very hot air, does not mean the CPU is
overheating - overheating generally causes the CPU to halt. Or you get
weird symptoms like reboots, graphics glitches and so on.

Look up the actual CPU and find out what its maximum operating
temperature is supposed to be. If yours is not exceeding that
temperature, then your system is not overheating, IMHO

If the fan is not increasing speed as the system gets hotter that could
cause a problem, but that problem should be visible in the CPU
temperature. What would be interesting would be if the CPU were not
running full speed, but was at its max temperature. That would indicate
the fan was not doing its job.

Another thing you could check is that the heat conduction from the CPU
to the heat sink (which is what the fan actually cools) is still OK,
Sometimes it dries up or comes loose and the CPU has nowhere to dump
heat. Though if the vented air is that hot, it would seem that heat
transfer out of the CPU is OK.

Any hardware people able to comment?

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: 61A0 99A9 8823 3A75 871E 5D90 BADB B237 260C 9C58
Old fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170