Advice on Graphics crd does it play nice with ubuntu

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 21:46:59 UTC 2022

Hey there,

hput wrote:
>Little Girl writes:

>> You can remove /ref and everything after it from any Amazon link.

>That is an exellent tip.  Thanks for that.

My pleasure. I can't stand those kinds of links, so I tend to write
myself scripts that parse them and the companies are forever changing
them, so it's an ongoing job to keep up with it.

>> https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

>> Note that the drop-down menus will be populated with default
>> choices and you'll need to change them with your custom
>> information each time.

>You always give such good and thorough help here... I hate to snivel
>like this BUT;
>
>If you are talking about the URL just above.  I see nothing like what
>you describe.  None of the dropdowns have anything close to the card
>in OP.  I'm probably blind or just dim witted.  But I see no way to
>look it up or even add it.  There appears to be nothing like the
>ZOTAC.

Yeah, they do start you with default information that's usually
wrong. In fact, I've only ever had it match my hardware once.

What's important to know about that card is that ZOTAC is just its
branding, whereas GeForce RTX 3060 is the "meat and potatoes" that
brings the card to life.

If you go to the above link, you can click the first drop-down menu
(the "Product Type" one) and change it to GeForce. The others will
then change.

Since the card you're interested in is a 3060, it's a 30 Series card,
so you'll want to make a choice with 30 Series in it from the
"Product Series" drop-down menu.

	[aside]
		I chose "GeForce RTX 30 Series (Notebooks)" from that
		one, but you might want to choose "GeForce RTX 30
		Series" instead. Note that that one also has a
		supported driver.

Your card wasn't the default shown for the "Product" drop-down menu,
so you'd want to click that as well and pick the  "GeForce RTX 3060
Laptop GPU" (or "GeForce RTX 3060" if you went with the non-notebook
choice above).

The "Operating System" drop-down menu always seems to default
to Windows for the operating system, so you'd want to click that one
and choose "Linux 64-bit" or whatever is appropriate.

The "Download Type" drop-down menu usually defaults to "Production
Branch" and you may want to change that (the question mark to the
right of it describes the differences), but I prefer it, so I left it
that way.

Last, but not least, the Language drop-down defaulted to English
because of the URL we used. If you have a preference other than
English, you can leave the ?lang=en-us part off of the URL and it may
default to the language used on your system (mine's all English, so I
can't test that). I left the language as English for that drop-down
menu, but if you have a preference, you can change it.

Once all those choices are made for any card ever, you can cross your
fingers and click the "SEARCH" button to see what it comes up with.

>The dropdowns appear to only allow making choices of what is already
>on them already.

That first drop-down menu controls all the others, so you always have
to make the choice for that one before being able to properly mess
with the others if the choices are way off.

>> They do support that card. It's listed in the "SUPPORTED PRODUCTS"
>> tab on this result page:

>> https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/189809/en-us/

>Well thats good to know.  But again .. following the link above I see
>nothing whatever about ZOTAC

You won't, because this is NVIDIA and they're interested in their
hardware rather than the branding of companies that use it.

>I'm sure you are right and I'm doing something wrong. So do you think
>by them listing it in SUPPORTED PRODUCTS it means its likely to be
>installable without near insanity from having every problem known to
>man wrestling with it?

Probably, but you're being thorough in the way that you're
researching this and if I were you, I'd continue doing that and try
to find someone who has installed it or write to the manufacturer and
pin them down to some solid information. Amazon offers a "Customer
questions & answers" section on every product page that you can use
to write in and get help from people who have used a product and also
sometimes from the manufacturer. You'll usually get a response from
at least one person within a day or two.

>Another helpful bit of knowledge would be; if I were to get and try
>something, only to find its a no go will these suppliers fall down
>from laughing so hard if I ask about returning it, or will I be able
>to return it.

If I were you and if the manufacturer didn't reply to the "Customer
questions & answers" effort above, I'd reach out to ZOTAC directly.
They may have contact information on that Amazon page (I didn't dig
for it, but it's usually there somewhere) and either way, ZOTAC has a
website with their phone number listed on it.

I clicked the "FREE Returns" link on that Amazon page and it says
this:
	"Free returns are available for the shipping address you
	chose. You can return the item for any reason in new and
	unused condition: no shipping charges"

What worries me about the wording of that is that they'll go ahead and
take it back if you haven't opened the box or used the card, but that
won't help you if you open it, try it, and it doesn't work. They may
have a separate policy for that, though, so it's worth it to reach out
to them.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.