apt full-upgrade causes system lock-up

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Thu Jun 2 11:29:25 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-06-02 at 12:56 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
> After it ran for a while it stalled for a long time with something
> that sat at
> the 90% position.
> Then it finally finished with an error message as follows:

> (apt output messages streaming by)
> Get:19 http://packages.linuxmint.com una/upstream amd64 firefox-
> locale-en amd64
> 101.0+linuxmint1+una [691 kB]
> Fetched 86,7 MB in 15s (5 854 kB/s)
> Preconfiguring packages ...
>
> Here is where it sat for a long time at 90+% until that disappeared
> and the
> following was printed:
>
> dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
> cannot read
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-headers-5.4.0-105.list (Input/output error)
> Bus error

I had something like that a couple of days ago with a 20.04 "test
server" that I have for backups, fiddling, etc.

I'd just reassembled it with a new 12V power supply from CPC (it's an
industrial board) and a SATA data lead that I'd not used before. It
wouldn't boot at all.

Tried using a tried and tested SATA lead. It booted but wouldn't do the
update until I'd followed the on screen instructions, some dpkg command
that I cannot remember but it seems to have sorted out whatever was
corrupted then the update/upgrade worked.

Dave