Remount /home rw when it's errored to ro

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 20:08:28 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 4:16 AM Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 at 03:39, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > How do I do this?
> >
> > My /home keeps bouncing into ro mode - how do I reset it to rw?
>
> Given your previous post: because of all the disk errors?
>
> I'm inclined to agree with the others now:
>
> This is a big red danger sign. Replace that disk ASAP.
>
> Then try to get a warranty claim in.

UPDATE:

My new PNY 2TB SSD arrived yesterday and I installed it this morning.
I have already filed a warranty claim with Patriot and that disk is
going back today. Cost me a few bucks but it's worth it. Two working
2TB SSDs is better than one, no matter how reliable the one turns out
to be.

On the bright side, I had a complete backup (still do) and the disk
was only failing in write mode, so the reads all appear to have been
successful.

I formatted and filled up the new drive (less than half way) in a few
hours, and it's happily up and running without a trace of trouble (so
far - I'll be cautious).

I also finally closed up the case - good point about the airflow.
There was a little dust - gone now. Diskscan showed the temperatures
as ok, though near the limit, so I took that piece of advice quite
seriously.

Thanks to all who jumped in and contributed. I know I panicked when I
really just needed to investigate and resolve. I should know that
without even thinking - I've been doing this for over 42 years - for
others...

Clearly I have become far too dependent on my computer for too much.

Moral: just because they're convenient does not mean they're
infallible, and neither am I.

Thanks again!

Mark Richter, Lead Software Engineer
Award-winning Author, "Mystic Prince"