Remotely (re)starting my system via a smart power switch?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 09:19:06 UTC 2022

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 00:10:06 +0200, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:

>I am returning home tomorrow to deal with plant watering and the grass lawn etc.
>So I will definitely look into enabling WOL on these laptops! :)

Now back from the trip home and I can report that the real problem was *not*
overheating as I suspected (that has happened before).
Instead one of my 8-way NetGear Gigabit routers had given up so I had to rush
out and buy a replacement (TP-Link 8X Gigabit this time).

Then the missing computers came on line again...

But while I was there I checked the WOL setting in the laptop BIOS and it turns
out it is enabled already (but not named WOL of course).
So if an overheat shutdown happens in the future I will try the WOL trick.

Regarding the router failure:
After I had installed the new router I decided to check if the old really was
broken by digging out another 12VDC/1A supply from my box of spare supplies and
lo-and-behold, the router started operating again!
So it was the P/S that had given up!
Now I have a spare 8-way Gigabit router...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden