S L O W S Y S T E M **SOLVED**

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 2 12:29:06 UTC 2022

On 1/2/22 2:41 AM, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 22:20:24 -0600, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>> Thanks Thomas and all the others, I discovered that the problem was
>> being caused by a Netgear monitoring task, once I shut it down the
>> problem went away.
>
> Hi,
>
> why does monitoring the router with another device slow down your Linux
> computer? This makes no sense at all.
>
> Are you really sure that it was the culprit?

Good morning Ralf,

Indirectly, it was causing an instance of Isolated Web Co and that was
hogging the system. When I took down Nighthawk, the problem went away.

>> I will use it only when absolutely required, and I hope that is never.
>>
>> The task is part of the Nighrhawk app.
>
> Snake oil can prevent or treat infections from coronaviruses. So now is
> the right time to use such an app.
>
> Apropos snake oil...
>
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 11:54:22 -0600, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>> Did a clamav scan and found nothing wrong.
>
> ...there are tools available to scan a Linux computer, such as
> chkrootkit. Scanning a Linux computer with software aimed for
> e-mail scanning on mail gateways, to detect viruses usually only aimed
> to attack Microsoft Windows machines gains absolutely nothing. ClamAV
> isn't suitable to scan a Linux computer.

I will try installing chrootkit and let you know If I find anything.

> That you used top for troubleshooting the performance issue was a good
> step. It's the right tool for the first step of troubleshooting such an
> issue.

I have used it several time to check on my system or find problems. I
was unaware of the purpose of the + that Thomas pointed out. It helped
to understand why Isolate has come into play.

> Regards,
> Ralf

Thanks,
Jay