Screen savers

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 02:56:08 UTC 2022

I have been running xscreensaver for years because I like how it works
and the options it provides.

That said, I was out of the house today and when I returned, the
screen was black.  xscreensaver was still running, but now it tells me
the glslideshow has no preview available, and no option I tried
worked.

I have noticed since installing Xubuntu 21.10 on my desktop that the
xscreensaver was behaving oddly - graying out the screenshots after a
few seconds and never leaving the display unchanged to show the
images.  I searched the xscreensaver configurations for an option or
switch to apply and found none.  To me, this new situation is
sufficiently dysfunctional to let it go.

I've dealt with the gent (loose term) who produces it, and his version
of customer support fails my lowest possible baseline.  It mostly
consists of 1) it's your fault, 2) it's your distro's fault for not
running his latest and greatest, and 3) go find the installesr online
yourself - he doesn't provide them.  He also tells me not to try and
build it myself - given the foregoing, I agree.

I did several google searches for an up to date binary, and nothing at
all came back that was less than 16 years old - no help there.

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know where a reasonably up to date binary Debian/Ubuntu
xscreensaver installer exists for download and install?  I'm looking
for version 6 or newer (the one in 21.10 is 5.5 something and purging
and reinstalling did not fix the problem).  If I can find one that
works, I'll tolerate the weirdness if I can.

2) Is it worth engaging the xfce4 screensaver and power manager (they
go together AFAICT)?  I just installed them (I removed them from the
original install) and they seem to be okay for now.

If I sound upset, it's true - my frustration level with this whole
issue has gone way beyond my limits.

I appreciate any and all constructive feedback (excluding use of the
gnome screensaver - not going there).

Thanks and my apologies for the ranting rone - you folks are not in
any way responsible for my frustration, and I thank you most
profoundly for that.

Mark